WEEK 1 // Longing for Rest
Reflection & Discussion Questions
- Read 2 Samuel chapter 7 verses 8 to 16.
- What is the most memorable Christmas ‘backdrop’ scene that you’ve ever come across?
- What stands out to you from these verses, which form part of the backdrop to the Christmas story in the Bible?
- In what ways do you think people might be longing for rest as we enter this Christmas season?
- Reflecting from verses 11-13 on how the rest we long for in our souls, hearts and lives can be found through a sense of certainty in Jesus, in what ways did the coming of Jesus that first Christmas bring certainty to people’s lives?
- Reflecting from verse 16 on how the rest we long for in our souls, hearts and lives can be found through a sense of continuity that led up to and beyond the coming of Jesus, and can be found in Jesus, what is something continual that Jesus brings to your life that enables you to be able to rest in Him?
- Reflecting on the completeness of the rest that Jesus is able to bring to our hearts, souls and lives, take some time to recognise afresh what is incomplete in your life, and allow Jesus to restore, renew or refresh you in whatever way is needed. Take some time to respond to Jesus’ invitation from Matthew 11:28 to 30 to come to Him in your weariness and with your burdens, and to receive His rest.